Browse by Collection TitleStart a new search
Showing 7 results for collections with a title beginning with "J"
Jennings, Frank W., 1917-
Creator Abstract: Frank W. Jennings is the author of San Antonio: The Story of an Enchanted City, a history of the city, and principal founder of San Antonio Founder's Day.
Content Abstract: The collection primarily consists of research materials related to Jennings' interests and writings on San Antonio history.
Johnson, David R., 1942-
Creator Abstract: David R. Johnson is Professor Emeritus of History at the University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA). He began teaching at UTSA in 1975 as an assistant professor, as associate professor from 1979-1985 and as full professor thereafter. Johnson has written extensively about crime and politics in urban America.
Content Abstract: The collection is comprised of correspondence, administrative, planning, project, research, and teaching materials.
Creator Abstract: Lollie Johnson was a successful bartender and nightclub owner in San Antonio. The success of her nightclub businesses was credited to her total commitment to the San Antonio Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered community, which made up the majority of her customer base. Lollie was also active in local community groups.
Content Abstract: The Lollie Johnson Papers include newspaper clippings, correspondence, printed materials, photographs, negatives, a small notebook, a wooden plaque for the Hypothesis Club, menus, programs, t-shirts, shoes, caps, a stained glass window from the Noo Zoo Company, Teleservice Resources records, Lollie’s résumé and her obituary.
Jones, Lu Elsie
Creator Abstract: From 1961 to 1989, Lu Elsie Jones was actively involved in several women's organizations in San Antonio, including the Women of the Church of Alamo Heights Presbyterian Church, the San Antonio Musical Club, the Woman’s Breakfast Club, the American Association of University Women--San Antonio Branch (including its Morning Interior Decorating Group), the Selini Study Group, and the San Antonio Council of Delphian Chapters. She is referred to as Lu Elsie Nagel and Mrs. Clair L. Jones in many of the yearbooks in this collection.
Content Abstract: The collection spans the years 1937 through 1989 (with the bulk from 1981-1988) and documents the roles Lu Elsie Jones had in the organizations to which she belonged. Yearbooks from various women's organizations comprise the bulk of the collection. Other material includes rosters, a commitment book, invitations, and a scrapbook.
Creator Abstract: Margaret Joseph was the Assistant Director for Public Services at the University of Texas at San Antonio Library from 1973 until her retirement in 2001. She was one of the first librarians hired in the UTSA Library. From 1987 through 1996, Joseph served on the Women's History Week Organizing Committee, producing library exhibits and bibliographies on various topics in women's history. She also worked on the Women's Walk for Athletics from 1992-1993.
Content Abstract: The papers span the years 1987 through 1996 and comprise documentation of Margaret Joseph's involvement with UTSA Women's History Week and Women's Walk for Athletics. Materials include correspondence and memoranda, meeting minutes and agendas, programs, flyers and brochures, bibliographies of women's history subjects, captions for exhibit materials, issues of the Roadrunner newsletter, and handwritten notes.
Joske's (San Antonio, Tex.)
Creator Abstract: Julius Joske immigrated to San Antonio and established the first Joske's store in 1867. The business developed into a popular statewide department store chain with 26 locations in Texas. The business ended when it was purchased by Dillard's in 1987.
Content Abstract: The records reflect a very small portion of the general business functions of the flagship Joske's department store in San Antonio. The collection is mostly composed of financial and administrative records. Information on a 1942 warehouse fire is also present.
Joske's Quarter Century Club
Creator Abstract: Joske’s Quarter Century Club was created by the company as a way to thank 25-year veteran workers with free monthly breakfasts, jewelry and a 25% discount. The Club has brought former employees of Joske’s together since 1933. Even after the store shut down, the Joske’s Quarter Century Club kept going, bringing employees back for socials and luncheons two to three times per year. The Club disbanded in 2012 and held its final meeting at Trinity Lutheran Church on December 1, 2012.
Content Abstract: The collection consists of: 5 photograph albums; a scrapbook; a brief history of Joske’s; 3 laminated copies of Joske’s Jabberwocky, the employee newsletter; and a Joske’s ChargaPlate.